Walking Through the History
Angkor Wat is Cambodia’s star attraction and with around 2.1 million annual visitors, it’s easy to spend your whole visit fighting for a view amid the crowds. This private walking tour offers an alternative, with the chance to walk along the ancient city walls of Angkor Thom, enjoy thrilling overhead views, and visit the temples of Bayon, Ta Phrom, and Angkor Wat.
- Duration 8 hours
- Live Guide Experiences Tour Guide English Speaking Tour Guide
- On Request
- No Deposit Required
- Free Cancellation before 48 hours
- Mobile Voucher Accepted
- 8 hours
- Private Tour
We will approach the city's western gate by tuk-tuk, once a main arterial to the capital of the ancient Khmer kingdom. From this rambling western entrance we begin our gentle, short walk into a less-visited section of Angkor Thom, followed by tuk-tuk to the famous Bayon temple. Here, we spend a moment at Bayon, before set ting out again for the eastern gates (the ‘Dead Gate’). From here, we clamber to the top of the city wall and walk for around three kilometres (north and then west), along the length of the wall (this will take about 1.5 hours). En route, we will stop at the second of the eastern gates, known as the Victory Gate (though here, ancient Khmer warriors marched out of the city to victory), and at the northeastern corner temple, Prasat Chrung. We end our wall-walking at the more-visited northern gate, then board our tuk-tuk to a local restaurant for your lunch break. Please note that lunch is on your own account.
After lunch, we continue our journey on board our tuk tuk to the jungle-enveloped Ta Prohm – one of the most atmospheric of all temples in Angkor. Once home to 2,740 monks, Ta Prohm today looks much as it did in the early 1850s, when French explorer Henri Mouhot ‘rediscovered’ this crumbling site. After exploring the maze-like interior of Ta Prohm, continue to Angkor Wat, the world’s largest sacred building and an architectural masterpiece. Built in the 12th century the temple took 30 years to build and represents the Khmer civilization at its grandest. Here, we end our tour, and transport you back to your hotel.
- Unique walking tour in the ancient city
- Visit major temples Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom City, Bayon, and Ta Prohm Temple
- Experienced English Speaking Tour Guide
- Transport by private tuk tuk (motorized trolley)
- Fresh coconut juice or soft drink
- Mineral Water
- Pickup and drop off from hotel
- Temples entrance fee
- Minimum 2 people per booking
- Booking with no deposit is required and the payment to be collected before tour start
- Dress code is casual but shoulders and knees must be covered inside temples
- Comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- For your ventures outside we recommend you leave your airline tickets, passport, and the bulk of your cash/ travellers cheques at your hotel for safekeeping. Just take enough valuables to cover your temples entrance, and be wary of pickpockets.
- One day Temples entrance fee is usd37
- Not wheelchair accessible
At 7:30am, please be ready at your hotel lobby